Monday, October 15, 2012

Finding God in the Everyday

At some point in life, we all find ourselves in the middle of a storm. Or lost. Or maybe we know exactly where we are and where we want to be, but don't know how to get there. Maybe we have nowhere to go, but are so bored or frustrated with where we are that it seems anyplace else would be better.

I live in the greater Los Angeles area. People here tend to find ourselves far too busy, far too entertained to know how to be quiet, and far too unaware of the wonderful beauty of creation, due to the congestion of buildings and cars and people.

I love it here. I fit in well. I am a goal-oriented person, I like to be busy, I love people, and I love it that just about anything I could want to see, do, or eat, is no more than about an hour away. On the other hand, more often than I'd like, I realize at the end of the day that I haven't spent much time truly listening to God. I have spent too little time just enjoying my children's company. I haven't had a meaningful conversation with my husband. I haven't spoken much about God. I haven't been thankful. I haven't called the friend who has been on my mind.

Wife, Mom, Pastor, Friend. These are the most important roles in my life. Wife for eight years, mother of three. Pastor by calling and ordination, though not by salary at present. And I hope to be the kind of friend who can listen well, be there when I am needed, and inspire hope, faith, joy, and gratitude.

I am starting this blog in an attempt to keep at heart the relationships and roles that are most important to me, and to help me recognize the spiritual side of the everyday things in life.

I am also in a bit of a storm. Actually, I am at a standstill when I'd rather be rushing. That's the problem for a do-er: if we aren't moving fast, it seems like something is wrong. So that is another reason I write: to help me slow down and enjoy it (since I have no choice about the pace at which my life moves). God's love and faithfulness have been present throughout my life. I want to thank him for that, and move in his timing, grace, joy, and peace.

Care to join me?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heidi!
    I understand stand-stills! I don't know what your situation is, but I'm trying to have peace with what is.

    How wonderful that you're writing.

    many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I can tell that you are very deep in thought about these things. I look forward to seeing you work through them, as I know you will.

    ReplyDelete